Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Time to Socialize!

This past week we've been to some really lovely parties! The whirls started on the 8th with a fantastic rooftop party given by Doug and Jo. (With decoration help from Robert!) We had great food, friends, dancing and plenty of Christmas cheer!

The following Wednesday we were invited to a reception in honor of the Emperor of Japan for his birthday. This was hosted by the Japanese consular and his wife. The garden was fully decorated in lights and there were so many people there! Lan, the hostess, made sure I tried all of the Japanese food they had. I also found out that I like sushi! Yup - for those of you who know me well, before I moved to India, I was not open to new experiences with food. Meat and Potatoes with either corn, green beans or peas were about the extent of it. Now I eat more veggies than I ever thought I would and even enjoy them. Sushi was something I was definitely holding out on. As Rich and I were raiding the sushi bar, we had a gentleman come up to us and introduce himself as Ali. He went on to tell us his family had ruled South India for thousands of years before the British came and took over. We were visiting and the Consular General for the US came over and shook hands with our new friend and addressed him as, Your Highness. Uh,Oh! Who were we really talking to? We went on visiting with Ali and he asked us for Rich's card and said he would call us to come by his home sometime. He then gave us his card, Nawab Muhammed Abdul Ali, Prince of Arcot. I guess you just never know who you're going to meet here!
Thursday evening brought about the Christmas reception at the British Deputy High Commission. We knew more people here and there were no surprise self introductions but we had fun all in the same!
Will we get to go to all of these parties again next year? I hope so, but most likely not. This is one of the perks of being President of the OWC. Oh well, we'll always have the memories!

No comments: